Thursday, December 16, 2010

That's how I roll.

     Get it?  Roll? (as in rolling pin?)  Hehehe, I know, not very original;.  In case I didn't know that, I have teenagers to roll their eyes for me when I say things like that.  Kinda clues me in; but that's alright.  If, however, you need more like that..I'm your girl.

     Today started out great.  Got to see Jesse before he went to work, and then make a double batch of cream puffs for mom.  Think they turned out pretty well..at least that's what they tell me.  Personally, I don't like the taste of them.  I'm more a salt lick person.  (for those that don't know what a salt lick is, it's put out for cattle to give them additional nutrients not otherwise found in hay, grass, and feed).

    
     I was thinking tonight (yes, that does happen once in a while, although my head really hurts now..lol) and I may have decided what to do for folks for Christmas.  The way I look at it, Christmas - as in Jesus' birth - was a gift to us from God.  He gave of himself.  Now we know I'm not God..although sometimes Jesse refers to me as a 'princess' (hehe), but I would like to give of myself to my friends and family.  The only way I know how to do that is through cooking.

     When I cook, I try and pour all the love and feelings I have into the food.  (I really am not trying for the puns, I'm just that good ;}  I'm kidding)   Most times, that's a good thing.  Every once in a while, it's really bad, as in eeewwwww gross.  What I'm proposing is to try and find what food/dessert/meal makes people feel good or makes them think about happy times in their life, and try to recreate them.  This being said, I hope people know this is not going to happen all before Christmas.  Think I'm going to make that 'Christmas feeling' last for a long time.  No Jesse and Ellanna, this does not mean I am going to be singing Christmas carols for the next 6 months; although, I really do like the song "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas".

     I recently watched the movie Julie and Julia.  I could not imagine taking a year and cooking my way through a Julia Child's cookbook.  I suppose that's because for the most part, if I don't like the taste of something, or it's not pretty, I really have no desire to cook it.  Not to say I won't if I know other people enjoy it.  I love to see people eat.

     Makes me think that is why I was so effected the first night I served at 'I Am Hope Cafe'.  This is a place that is open a couple nights a week, and one morning to give those that need it a hot meal and a place to get a shower and clean clothes.  I got to meet so many new people, and was able to not just serve them, but sit and talk/laugh with them.  I want to share one snippet of conversation that happened that night, but you need a little background first..when I found out I was going to be going, I was told that Metropolitan Ministries provides the hot meal, but they do not provide the bread or dessert.  Mom was telling me that usually when it's one of Baylife's nights, the baking team at church makes desserts for the cafe.  So, I asked if I could make some, and made some brownies and chocolate chip cookies.  When we get there to set up, we usually put out the condiments on the tables, and we put a dessert at each place setting.  When the guests come in, they only have to sit at an empty place setting and we serve/wait on them.

     Now back to the conversation.  As I was saying, I was serving a mother and her daughter.  She was adorable, and probably about 4 or 5 years old.  As most little ones do, she was eyeing her dessert (which for her was a piece of frosted spice cake) and was not really too interested in eating her meal.  As I was listening to mom try and convince her to eat, I saw her looking and asked her if she would like a plate with a brownie and cookies instead of the cake.  Now, grab your tissue here, because her response was to turn to her mom and ask " Mom, what's a brownie?"  I wanted to cry right then and there, but had to choke it back while mom explained about the brownie, and I went to get her one.  Needless to say, in her snack to take with her (which the cafe tries to provide everyone that comes with a little something they can take with them, since they cannot take the hot food to go..strict rules about that) she had a couple extra brownies and cookies.

     On the way home, that little snapshot of time kept running though my head.  Can you imagine your son/daughter/niece/nephew asking that question?  Something so simple as a brownie you wouldn't think twice about it.

     Just makes you think, doesn't it?

    

    

1 comment:

  1. You know that made me cry. You have such a humongous heart. I am glad to know you.

    ReplyDelete