Monday, January 31, 2011

Expanding my horizons

Well, I survived my first big cooking foray this weekend.  I made stuffed shells for approximately 220 people.  I had so much fun doing that (I can say that now that it's done).  Had the 80's music rocking, the dogs drooling (yes, they got some treats while I was cooking), and was wall to wall pasta, sauce and cheese...but it was FANTASTIC!

     I had one of the best non-verbal compliments I could have though.  I watched teenagers go back for seconds, even some of the girls.  You see, it was Revolve weekend at Bay Life Church.  That's where kids from middle and high school go to host homes and grow closer to God and each other.  They have all sorts of activities planned throughout the weekend like flag football, road ralley's, and other things at the church.  They eat lunch and dinner at the church, then go back to the host homes at night for their life group times.  So, as for the non-verbal communication, it was either a compliment, or they were just really hungry.  LOL

     Now, on to a more somber note of the weekend. I know this is a food blog, but I need to get this out there.  I met a couple of really terrific ladies tonight.   Let me start at the beginning...Mom has been telling me about a couple of homeless ladies she met, and tonight my mission was to go with a friend to pick up a bicycle and bring it to the church for one of the ladies.  Well, when we got to the church, Mom was there with all 3 eating some pizza and pound cake (left from this morning's church service-I make something for our 'Corner' every week-where new people to our church get to come and meet the pastor and others every week).  Anyhow, we were all just sitting around talking while they were eating, and I wanted so much to 'fix it' for them, and I can't. One of the ladies actually apologized to me for being homeless and not being able to take a shower.  I have never had that happen before.  At that point, we made sure she knew there was nothing for her to be sorry for.

     After worship service tonight, I was going to take them back to one of the ladies home for the night and I gave them the few things I had thrown in a bag for them.  It was like someone had given them a bag of gold.  It was only a few non-perishables and some handy-wipes.  Let me just say that my view on life and things took a sharp 180.  So, on the way to Bennie's we stopped to get some dog food (their dogs had not eaten that day), and we picked up a couple raw hides..every dog needs a little something extra.  It was breaking my heart that they were so much more worried about the dogs than themselves at that point. 

     I don't know if it's the mom in me or what, but even though these ladies are older than I am, I just wanted to hug them and tell them it was going to be alright.  Now I know I cannot do that, but I can't stop thinking about what I can do.  Looks like it's time to put some of the contacts from all my years in the medical field to good use. 

     So, to everyone that reads this post, please stop and say a prayer for these ladies...and all those that for whatever reason or circumstance have no home.  It may not seem like much, but let me tell you, the power of prayer is awesome!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the power of prayer!!!

    On the food side....dinner was excellent. I enjoyed the stuffed shells, salad & bread. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete